Skill Level: Advanced
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Here are the ingredients:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- MOCHA CREAM FILLING (recipe follows)
- Powdered sugar
Preparation and cooking:
- Heat oven to 200°C (400°F). Grease cookie sheet.
- Heat water and butter in medium saucepan to rolling boil. Add flour all at once; stir vigorously over low heat about 1 minute or until mixture leaves side of pan and forms a ball. Remove from heat. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with spoon after each addition until smooth. Drop batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls about 3 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Horizontally slice small portion from top of puffs; set tops aside. Remove any soft dough from inside of puffs. Remove puffs from cookie sheet to wire rack; cool completely. Prepare MOCHA CREAM FILLING; fill puffs. Replace tops; sprinkle with powdered sugar. Refrigerate until cold. Cover; refrigerate leftover puffs. 6 cream puffs.
MOCHA CREAM FILLING
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir together sugar, cocoa and cornstarch in medium saucepan; gradually add milk and instant coffee. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk, blending well; return mixture to pan. Heat just to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into bowl; press plastic wrap onto surface. Refrigerate until cold.